Friday, June 23, 2017

Why BYU-Idaho Isn't For Me

DISCLAIMER: This post is purely opinion and is based on personal experiences. In no way is this meant to tear down the purpose and good that BYU-I has done in so many lives. It's a good education at an affordable price. I'm grateful for the tithe payers and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for making getting a college education easier at a reasonable cost. If you are absolutely in love with the University, then don't read this. I'm going to be 100% honest because this is a review post. You will get offended lol. This is all based on my experience and how they have behaved with me.

When you are applying for college, you don't really know what you are getting into. Each campus has a culture, a way of doing things and the environment that the University creates. I wish that I had a blog post that I could have read before I came up to BYU-Idaho telling me what it was like and giving me a heads up so I could prepare myself. Just a little background on me: I'm a Junior majoring in International Studies. I've taken both all online classes, on campus classes and a mixture of both. I've been single, dating, engaged and married as a student. I've worked part time and gone to school full-time since I started my college education. I've done it all! Here are some things I wish someone told me before going to BYU-I

1. Religion is mixed and mingled with your secular education. Professors relate the class curriculum to gospel principles and compare truths. Depending on your preferences, you may be the kind of person that doesn't want a church or religious bias in your education. You are graded if you do or do not read your scriptures in your Book of Mormon class and you loose your Ecclesiastical Endorsement if you don't go to church. This could be a good thing and it could be a bad thing. If you don't like being forced activity in the church, then maybe you should consider another school. Keep in mind that this is a private Mormon University so they have a lot of freedoms with combining religion and education.

2. There is no student life. It is a really small town, in a family community, in the middle of nowhere. The population 27,094 and over 14,000 of those people are college students. There are no major stores like Target. They just barely got a normal sized Walmart this past year. The only activities I have heard about are stake dances which are EXACTLY like the ones you attended in high school. The activities put on by the University are religious seminars as well. There are no frats or sororities or week events like in other colleges. There are no sports teams and the only University events are religious seminars.  You have a midnight curfew, except on Fridays where you have to be in your apartment by 1 am. There are a couple of hikes or you can drive to another city to do something. The closest mall is 40 minutes away. I come from a big city and so Rexburg is very dull to me. Keep in mind that there's not much of student life and stuff to do in the actual city. It's tiny.

3. Expect a culture that you have never experienced before and nothing can compare to it. BYU-I is a little bubble in the middle of nowhere. Students and faculty over the last decade have created their own little world. There is no diversity other than a handful of foreign students from other countries. Dating and marriage will be brought up every class period and pounded into your brain until you're married or graduated. Devotionals somehow become a requirement for exaltation. I respect and understand the Honor Code but I don't see how having a beard or wearing shorts on campus is going to stop you from being a better disciple and student. This, in my opinion, cause the faculty and students to have a "holier than thou" attitudes. Can I just bring up that mustaches are okay? I feel like a well groomed beard is way more professional then having the young men walk around looking like Pedo-Pete with the caterpillar over their top lip. Roommates have to make sure that each other is living the Honor Code so that can make things SO awkward. You either feel like you're being judged or your mom if you have to keep getting on them. If you don't like adding rules on top of the commandments of the gospel, then another University would be more for you. Keep in mind that BYU-I has implemented its own rules and culture.

4.  Basically everything is student ran. Want support and advice on what to do for an internship? A student will help you with that. Want to pick classes and know what to take for your degree? Your councilor is actually a fellow student. Want to know who's processing and handling your financial aid and scholarships? Some 18 or 19 year old student. My husband had a TA as a tutor who had no previous tutoring experience or a desire to even be a tutor. He hates tutoring now. There hasn't been a single semester where the financial aid office has gotten it right and they are super hard to get a hold of. This semester over 50% of the student body didn't have their financial aid before payment deadlines. They have cut pmajor and minors without telling students. The international department sent my husband's visa paperwork 10 days late and have lost his visa twice. Rexburg is too small to try and support 14,000 college students. There are NO jobs so the university has to make up for it. I appreciate that they provide more jobs on campus but I would like a trained professional to handle my money or my husband's legal documents. The intentions are there but the application is not efficient or professional. At times I have felt that I'm attending an activity organized by a YSA ward than an accredited University. Keep in mind that every department is ran by a student just like you.

BYU-Idaho is a great place to be. I have had amazing experiences with quality professors who I felt I could trust and confide in. If you have a chance, take World Foundations 101 from Ms. Gee. She is awesome! Even though I would rather do this on my own, I love that the university teaches that your education is a tool in being a better disciple leader and that all knowledge testifies of the Plan of Salvation. I have had some amazing roommates who have become my dearest friends and taught me many valuable life lessons. The purpose and intention of the University is there but the application and efficiency is lacking. The culture, the state of Idaho and BYU-I just wasn't my cup of tea! I suggest that you do a lot of research and actually visit the campus. Ask students how they feel about their experience so far. Good luck on your search for your college education! I hope this article proves useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment