Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mistakes I Made Through My Parents Divorce.

Divorce is never fun for anyone especially the kids and it seems to be happening more and more. During my parents divorce I wish I had someone to give me advice and help me through all the rough patches. Here are somethings to keep in mind that will help you through your parents divorce...

1. DON'T BLAME YOURSELF! Sometimes people fall in and out of love. Things happen to where they can no longer be married anymore. When my mom left, I thought that it was because I didn't do my chores or I talked back too much. Keep in mind that your relationships with each individual parent is separate from the relationship your parents have with each other.

2. Just because they are divorced, it doesn't mean that they don't love you. Your parents will always love you and want what is best for you! Whether they are a step parent or a biological parent. They contributed to your life and in return you have contributed to their lives in some way. Divorce does not end the love they have for you.

3. It's okay to be frustrated! I held a lot of what I felt in and didn't talk about it until it blew up in my face. Your parents want to know how you are feeling and help you with those feelings. If you are not comfortable talking about the divorce to a parent, go to someone who has no part in the situation, like a friend or adult figure that you trust.

4. Blaming one parent or the other isn't going to solve anything either. There are two people in a relationship and it takes two to make it work. Both contributed to the problem and both could have the contributed to the solution. The fact of the matter is, nobody is perfect and people make decisions. You can't control their actions but you can control yours. Instead of being angry like I was, try loving them through it. It's hard for them to and they are feeling pretty lonely right now. Help each other through it! You'll be happier in the end.

5. Last thing to do which should probably do first and through out the divorce is to just breathe. Things fall apart so bigger and better things can fall into place. It's going to be ok! It won't be easy but in the end I know it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment